The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks Review

The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
"If we'd never met, I think I would have known that my life wasn't complete. And I would have wandered the world in search of you, even if I didn't know who I was looking for," Ira (370).
A book that tells two stories about love. Ira is stuck in a snowstorm after he crashed his car. Memories of his precious moments with his dead wife, Ruth keeps him conscious. Another tale unfolds of Sophia being dragged by her best friend to a rodeo, where she meet handsome cowboy, Luke. Although these two couple may not be same age, they have one piece in common: ability to find love in the least likely places.

Characters Metamorphosis:
"I sometimes think to myself that I'm the last of my kind." Ira (1).
Ira, a ninety-one years old man, reminisces about his life as he pulls himself through his major injuries after crashing his car on the side on the road. His father's teaching still has an impact on his life:
"Similarly...He expected honesty and integrity in all aspects of life...'Trust people,' he would tell me, 'until they give you a reason not to. And then never turn your back.''' (2)
A kindhearted man, who have been through many obstacles in life, but still optimistic about it. To him, his greatest achievement was to be loved and loved his decreased wife, Ruth. Another enthusiastic individual worth mention would be Sophia.

As a senior in college, Sophia was ambitious to achieve her dream job of being a curator at a museum. Focusing an enormous amount of her energy in school work that she neglected on having fun in life. It was not until she meets Luke, does she truly learned to live carefree and fall in love. When she loves someone, she passionately care for them until she realizes there is so much she can do till she has to let go. Enough about Sophia, onto Luke.

Talented bull rider, Luke, determined to win enough money in bull riding competition to help save his family farm. It is a tough road for Luke since his past of him in critical condition after getting thrown by Big Ugly Critter, still haunted him. In walked Sophia, who teaches him about love:
"He...leaning in, he watched her eyes slowly close, and when their lips came together, he felt a sense of discovery, like an explorer finally reaching distant shores he'd only imagined or heard about. He kissed her again and then again, and when he pulled back, he rested his forehead against hers. He drew a deep breath, struggling to keep his emotions in check, knowing that he didn't love her simply in the here and now, but that he would never stop loving her." (151)   
The love that she gave him, led him to understand that sacrifices have to be made. He cannot please everyone; he had to learned to let go what no longer had meaning in his life.

Plot Development:
The Longest Ride centered around the idea of opposites attract and love required sacrifices. Ira-Ruth, and Luke-Sophia each came from different worlds, but they realized they so much in common; their love for one another. They have pasts that haunt them, but they stayed strong on the outside, and find comfort in their significant other. Troubles in paradise arise when their values clashed

Comments:
Last Saturday, I found myself in a dark theater waiting for The Longest Ride movie to begin. Go back to a couple of months ago when I saw the trailer on Youtube, I squealed at short clips glued together to make an intriguing movie sneak peek. It wasn't until Friday night when I saw the trailer on television again, did I feel eager to see this movie. Never had I felt this toward a Nicholas Sparks's book turned to a film until now. It sparked an interest in me, and I was not disappointed.

Before going to the cinema, I am usually found nose deep into the book version of the movie. In this case, I never really thought about reading it yet. I went into the theater with an open mind, and about two hours later, I was blown away by it. It gave me an urgency to read the book. Two days later, my eyes were glued to the book, which I had bought that very same day. Now, we find ourselves in the presence, where I am writing a review for this book that had became my favorite Nicholas Sparks' book.

A novel by Nicholas Sparks had me squealing in my seat. Simple love stories illustrated by the author; yet contain complexity. If these couple did not go through some sort of tragic event, it wouldn't be a Nicholas Sparks' book. Certain parts in the novel and movie, made me want to cry. A touching romance these individuals have.

I highly recommend the Longest Ride book to anyone, who is a hopeless romantic such as I. If they happened to enjoy the novel, watch the movie as well, or copy what I did, watched the film, and afterward dived straight into the book.

Rating: 5/5 stars!

Video: The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks review

References
Sparks, Nicholas. The Longest Ride. New York: Grand Central Publishing, 2013. Print.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C-DRAMA REVIEW: When a Snail Falls in Love

FIRST IMPRESSIONS of When a Snail Falls in Love

DRAMA RECAPS: 7 First Kisses Episode 3 & 4